Stephen Henry has dedicated his practice for the last 20 years to helping employees, executives and minority shareholders find effective solutions to their employment and related business disputes. Stephen’s trial and litigation experience includes jury and bench trials in federal and state courts, as well as numerous arbitrations, civil writs and appeals.
Admissions to Practice:
Stephen is admitted to practice in all California Courts, United States District Court for the Northern District of California, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, and the United States Supreme Court.
Georgetown University Law Center, Juris Doctor, 1989
Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, B.A. 1984 / Honors in Government
Recognition and State Bar Activities:
Stephen has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in the area of Employment Law, and is a Board Member of the Alameda County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service.
Mary Kay Lacey
Mary Kay Lacey began her career at the nationally recognized law firm of Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, later Dentons US, LLP, where she was a partner for many years, leading multi-lawyer trial teams in high-stakes, “bet the company” cases. With a broad background in commercial litigation, Mary Kay has extensive experience in case development, law and motion practice, and appellate advocacy. In addition, Mary Kay has represented Native American clients for the last 10 years in a variety of matters requiring tribal law and sovereign immunity expertise.
Admissions to Practice:
Mary Kay is admitted to practice in all California Courts, United States District Court for the Northern and Eastern Districts of California, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
Georgetown University Law Center, Juris Doctor, 1989 / Dean’s List
University of California, Berkeley, B.A. / Distinction in General Scholarship, High Honors in Political Science
Mary Kay is a Planning Commissioner and Member of the Personnel Board, City of Berkeley
Areas of Practice
We have substantial experience in all aspects of employment law representing employees in whistleblower claims, wrongful termination, retaliation, harassment, discrimination on the basis of sex, race, age, sexual orientation and disability, as well as labor code violations, unpaid, underpaid and untimely wages, and severance negotiation.
Our practice also provides general advice and counseling to small businesses, addressing HR issues, drafting and updating employment manuals, and negotiating and preparing employment and severance agreements.
- Successfully settled multiple whistleblower cases in a variety of contexts, including:
- a governmental employee against a public entity
- a scientist who reported safety violations against a pharmaceutical company
- an engineer who was retaliated against by her tech company employer after raising safety and work place violations.
- Secured a substantial settlement in an age discrimination case by a financial analyst against a major financial institution.
- Prevailed in a state court jury trials on a number of wrongful termination, breach of contract and Labor Code violation cases.
- Successfully represented clients in Federal court on race discrimination and wrongful termination cases.
- Drafted numerous employee handbooks on behalf of small businesses, as well as supplemental documentation regarding employee rights and responsibilities.
Our extensive experience in commercial litigation includes representing both individual and business clients in a wide range of disputes, involving breach of contract, fraud, eminent domain, interference with business relationships, unfair competition, expropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, rights of minority shareholders, and defamation.
- Successfully represented a founding employee in a state court jury trial involving fraud, breach of contract and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing against a Silicon Valley start up company.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a breach of fiduciary duty case against a real estate company, resulting in a substantial settlement.
- Represented a national retail business in an eminent domain jury trial resulting in a multi-million dollar award.
- Represented a Native American tribal government in an anticipatory breach of contract dispute, defending against a damages claim in excess of $200 million, securing a complete appellate victory following trial.
- Secured pre-trial settlement following evidentiary motions for major franchisor in a lawsuit by franchisee involving breach of contract claim.
We have a well-developed appellate practice representing individuals, commercial, and governmental clients in complex litigation. We have experience in all aspects of appellate advocacy, including briefing and oral argument before California Courts of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, and briefing before the United States Supreme Court.
- Lead multi-party defense team successfully upholding multi-million dollar judgment on appeal following eminent domain trial.
- Secured Court of Appeal reversal of $30 million damage claim following breach of contract trial, and successfully opposed Writ of Certiori to the the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Secured ruling in favor of client on whistleblower claim involving issue of first impression in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal involving interplay between Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd Frank Acts, with continuing representation in the US Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended employee in appeal of substantial jury trial verdict, securing Court of Appeal reversal of post-trial ruling that partially reduced the jury’s verdict.
- Represented seller in real estate dispute involving sale of commercial property, with ruling in favor of client on all issues raised on appeal.